Re: ATHCTRL for ATH

From: Fredrik Lindberg <fli+freebsd-current_at_shapeshifter.se>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:13:13 +0200
Daniel Dvořák wrote:
> I am sorry but I don´t understand about modular ifconfig and about "to phase
> out those sorts of programs out". But I am agree about that would be a
> question for Sam.
>
> So we have to wait now.

It's quite simple, there is (and have been) numerous programs to
configure different types of network interfaces (wicontrol, gifconfig,
raycontrol, etc...).
The goal is to phase out all these small programs and allow ifconfig to
do their job instead.
A modular ifconfig allows this without turning the ifconfig code into a
bloated, un-maintainable pile of junk.

In essence, if those "ack+cts" settings you ask for were to be
comitted into the source tree, I guess they would be added to
ifconfig(8) and not as a separate tool.
(Maybe ifconfig already supports this...)

	Fredrik Lindberg