[RELENG_6] wireless woes

From: Michael Lestinsky <michael_at_uugrn.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:10:29 +0000 (UTC)
Hi there,

Is there anyone having success in using ipw- or ath-type devices with
RELENG_6? Although both were working happily in RELENG_5 neither one does
after the OS upgrade and I couldn't yet figure out why. They fail with very
different errors.

IPW:

michael_at_mobi:~> kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
[...]
11    3 0xc07c7000 1c748    wlan.ko
12    1 0xc07e4000 2bf0     wlan_wep.ko
13    1 0xc07e7000 851c     if_ipw.ko

michael_at_mobi:~> ipwcontrol -i ipw0 -r
Radio is ON

michael_at_mobi:~> ipwcontrol -i ipw0
ipwcontrol: Can't retrieve statistics: No such file or directory

michael_at_mobi:~> grep ipw /etc/rc.conf
ipw_enable="yes"
ifconfig_ipw0="DHCP"

However it doesn't associate with my accesspoint (a RELENG_5 machine as
hostap). But reading the "wicontrol" output I find this one:

Current channel:                        [ 65535 ]

Even when I "ifconfig ipw0 channel 6" this funny value remains. I suspect
it could be a firmware problem. I'm loading the firmware from the recent port:

michael_at_mobi:~> pkg_info | grep ipw
ipw-firmware-1.3_2  Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Driver Firmware

ATH:

Here the fun starts already at the stage of loading the kernel modules:

michael_at_mobi:~> sudo kldload if_ath
kldload: can't load if_ath: No such file or directory

michael_at_mobi:~> dmesg | tail -2
link_elf: symbol ath_hal_buildopts undefined
KLD if_ath.ko: depends on ath_hal - not available

Does anyone have any clue on this?

Bye,
Michael