Re: Beta2: Nice job!

From: Devon H. O'Dell <dodell_at_offmyserver.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:15:17 -0700
On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 09:05:08AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> >>Yep, its running at the native resolution.
> >>
> >>Drew
> >

> >For what it's worth, I've always found the anti-aliasing of fonts in
> >GTK applications to be sub-par. They all use Bitstream Vera at a
> >ridiculously small font size and seem to blur into the background by
> >like two pixels on each side. I don't mind Bitstream Vera at all,
> >but I agree, I cannot stand the way antialiased fonts look in these
> >applications.
>
> Agreed - it isn't perfect at all, but better than nothing (for me, but
> not everyone it seems).  Is there a way to change it?  I have to say,
> that Windows fonts nearly always look great.

Windows uses larger fonts. I think the default menu fonts in Firefox
are something ludicrous like 8 or 9 pt; I believe Windows and Mac use
between 10 - 12 pt fonts for this. I _think_ that I have fiddled with
font sizes and been satisfied with the anti-aliasing at larger sizes
before.

Ah, I remember, I'm probably thinking about fiddling with Bitstream
anti-aliased fonts in Plan 9 and finding I had the same problems
when I got the fonts down to below a certain size. The rendering
works differently, so it only really looks good at 12 - 14 pt, but
I think the real issue is the default size.

I'm unfortunatly not running an AA-enabled Firefox right now, though,
otherwise I'd check.

Some TT fonts are better for anti-aliasing than others. I guess
there's nothing other than Bitstream Vera that we can rely on for
now, though.

> Eric
>
> --
> Eric Anderson        Sr. Systems Administrator        Centaur Technology
> Anything that works is better than anything that doesn't.

--Devon