Re: Beta2: Nice job!

From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin_at_cs.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:21:40 -0400 (EDT)
Alexander Leidinger writes:
 > Andrew Gallatin <gallatin_at_cs.duke.edu> wrote:
 >
 > > > Ah, so the deal is that you actually don't like the antialiasing
 > > > smoothness we all love. Hmm.
 > >
 > > Maybe it is something wrong with my eyes?
 >
 > Maybe you have better eyes than other people?

I've always had better than 20:20 vision, so I suppose that
could be it.  Maybe I need to get some computer glasses
that make everything blurry :)

 > Or you use the default anti-aliasing instead of subpixel anti-aliasing.

I've tried various things in my ~/.fonts.conf.  It currently
looks like this:

 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
 </match>

  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>

 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>
 </match>

 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>

 <match target="pattern" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="autohint" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>

 > > The odd thing is that when I hook my powerbook to my 1600x1200 lcd,
 > > somehow MacOSX makes fonts look decent.  They are still blurry,
 > > but not nearly so bad.
 >
 > So this isn't about ordinary analog VGA connection vs. digital DVI connection
 > (I assume you use the same connector). But do you use the same fonts?

The connection is DVI in both cases.

I typically use the default fonts in all cases, as it seems the
more I mess with things, the worse I make them.

Drew