GEOM too restrictive even with debugflags=16

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:06:48 +0200
Hello,

again I ran into the problem that I need to edit my GPT while the system is
in multiuser running. But the following doesn't work:
cale:/#70: sysctl -w kern.geom.debugflags=16
kern.geom.debugflags: 0 -> 16
cale:/#71: gpt remove -i 8 ad0s2
gpt remove: unable to open device 'ad0s2': Operation not permitted

Arrghhh. Now I have to stop all work and go into singleuser mode. Thats not
acceptable! And please don't tell me that I use the wrong device, it's a
i386 machine so I need a MBR in ad0 and have to use GPT inside a slice!

What sense does it make to forbid such modifications? Especially if I
enable foot-shooting?!

I'd love to test a patch, I can't tell how angry I am that I have to shut
down the box!

-Harry