Re: 6.0-CURRENT SNAP004 hangs on amr (patch)

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:08:28 -0400
At 01:37 PM 23/08/2005, Joao Barros wrote:
>On 8/23/05, Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com> wrote:
> > Joao Barros wrote:

> > > Well, for me sums up to this:
> > > FreeBSD 5 with amr: ok
> > > FreeBSD 6 with amr: doesn't boot
> > >
> > > And when I mean 'same controller' I mean what I have PERC 3/DC aka
> > > LSILogic MegaRAID 1600 Elite.
> >
> > When you boot verbosely, do you see a bunch of retries?  If you do, let
> > it sit until the retries hits 16k.  Maybe it's the same cam bug I'm
> > seeing (I have a patch to try soon).
> >
> > Eric
>
>Actually no as you can verify in my posted dmesgs here:
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-August/053994.html
>
>Thanks for your 'eye' on this but I don't seem to be affected by that
>bug your seeing.

I dont think its the AMR card.  I tried a OpenBSD snapshot on it, and
the same tests that crash FreeBSD work fine on OpenBSD.

Something like the cryptotest with multiple threads would quickly
lockup the box (i.e. no VGA output nothing).  Its not the HiFn card
per se, it seems anything that generates a high interrupt load will
lockup the machine.  I found generating a lot of network traffic
would lock it up as well.  This doesnt seem to be the case on OpenBSD
nor Linux.

dmesges from various OSes are at
http://www.tancsa.com/dell/
including the one from OpenBSD.

http://www.tancsa.com/dell/openbsd.txt

I will pop the AMR card back in for good measure too.

Comparing the dmesgs, both Linux and OpenBSD seem to squak about the
ISA bus/ATA controller and USB being disabled.  But FreeBSD seems to
try and do something with it that causes it to blow up.  By blow up,
I mean shut the machine down.

         ---Mike