Re: fontsize and dpi (was Re: Beta2: Nice job!)

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:12:25 +0200 (CEST)
Daniel O'Connor wrote:
 > On Tuesday 23 August 2005 23:22, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > I haven't seen any cases recently where the DPI was
 > > set correctly by default.  I always had to specify it
 > > explicitly.  On my newest machine (resolution is
 > > 1400 x 1050 pixels on a 15" TFT screen) I had to set
 > > it to 120 DPI.  The default was 75.
 >
 > Strange it doesn't get the dimensions from the monitor
 > like you'd expect :(

Well, it's not a big problem, I just put "-dpi 120" in my
~/.xserverrc and be done with it.  I also have a feeling
that it might be better to measure and set the DPI myself
instead of trusting autodetect mechanisms.  I'm certainly
just overly paranoid, though.  :-)

 > That works here on a 17" LCD (BenQ) as well as my 15.1"
 > LCD panel in a Dell laptop.

In my case it's a Notebook with 1400x1050 15" screen and
i915 graphics.  Initially it ran with the VESA driver,
which worked perfectly fine, but maybe it doesn't support
the DDC thingy.  I switched to the i810 driver yesterday
(had to install the latest X.org snapshot package).  Maybe
the DPI autodetection works now; I'll give it a try.

BTW, Opera looks _really_ nice at that resolution and
antialiased fonts.  Browsing the web is a real pleasure
now.  :-)

Oh, by the way -- and finally on-topic:  I guess there is
no chance that kern/79139 will be commited in time for
6.0-Release, right?  Will it be committed to RELENG_6
shortly after?  I'm surprised that the PR is still open
for several months now.  The patch is fairly trivial and
adds PCIe support for the i915 chipset which is very
common today.

Best regards
   Oliver

"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker"
        -- Daniel C. Sobral