Re: cuaa0 or cuad0?

From: Lonnie VanZandt <lonnie.vanzandt_at_ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:24:49 -0600
fyi, the handbook is now outdated. The instructions therein applied up to 5.2
(perhaps even to 5.3 but I didn't have to do a remote debug session in 5.3).

Most of it remains pertinent but the host-side gdb application was switched to
"kgdb".

If you want to debug a remote target instead of a local running or core dumped
kernel, your command-line options are:

	kgdb -r <com device> <path to local image of remote kernel>

The handbook instructions about sio flags (0x80) for the target remain
correct. The target kernel also must have "options DDB", "options KDB", and
"options GDB" in its configuration.

I run my com ports at 9600-8-N-1. Perhaps this can be increased on each
side...

To connect the host and the target, enter kdb/ddb on the target (sysctl,
keystroke, or panic), then type "gdb" on the target, then "s" on the target.
Now, on the host, run the kgdb command with the proper paths to your com port
and your kernel image. It should connect (if not, make sure you used a
null-modem cable between the systems!)

To get the proper symbol table information for kgdb, sometime while the target
is still up, run "asf" (see the man page for this) to output the
add-symbol-file commands for any loaded modules. (The format of these
commands changed a wee bit from 5.2 to 5.4 so asf helps to get the syntax and
addresses correct.)

You can then "source asf.out" on the host kgdb session to load in your symbol
tables. You'll need copies of the modules from the target on the host side
too.

You can get remote kernel debugging to work - just be aware that none of the
existant documentation really covers the scenario well. It all seems to focus
on the "debug a core from a local kernel, single-system" use case...