Re: cpio and tar are loosing flags (and a panic message without trace)

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:31:11 +0200
Am Samstag, 27. August 2005 06:58 CEST schrieb Matthew Dillon:
> :Thank you, I know cpdup but I haven't known that it's flags aware!
> :Unfortunately I need to write to a raw device, I guess there's no way
> : for=20 cpdup without a filesystem...
> :
> :I guess cpio and tar really should take care about flags. Am I wrong?
> :
> :Thanks,
> :
> :=2DHarry
>
>     cpio won't do it, tar won't do it, dump only does whole partitions,
>     cpdup is not an archiver.  Hmm.
>
>     I can think of two possibilities.  First, use a MFS or VN block
> device, create a filesystem, and use cpdup, then gzip the file
> representing the backing store.  Since the extra space in the filesystem
> will contain zeros (you should make sure it does, that is), it should
> compress pretty well.  Second, use cpio and then do a separate 'find' or
> 'ls' or something to get the chflags info and write a script that
> restores the flags after unpacking.
>
>     They are both pretty narley solutions.
>
>     Hmm.. wait a sec... I just thought up of another possibility... take
>     the tar or cpio source code and modify it to also save and restore
>     the chflags data.  It won't be a 'standard' utility any more, but it
>     WILL work for your needs.  Call it by another name so there's no
>     confusion.  That might be your best bet, actually.

Right, and you can be sure, I had that done already if I spoke c.
But if I understand you correctly, it is intended that cpio doesn't hanlde
file flags? And (bsb)tar too? Then what are flags good for if no
application makes use of them?
For now I think I have to be happy with my script solution, at least it
works.

Thanks,

-harry