installing 6.0-BETA3

From: Mikhail T. <mi_at_aldan.algebra.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:26:16 -0400 (EDT)
Hello!

I'm installing 6.0-BETA3 from the boot-only CD-image on an old
Pentium-MMX laptop. The processor runs at 267MHz and there is
160Mb of RAM in it (dmesg attached).

Here is my "report" so far -- various things some of them unrelated:

	. Something is wrong with the ed-driver (in my case --
	  Kingston's KNE-PC2T, FCC ID L40WST200). Kernel reports
	  being unable to do something with pccard1, then reports
		  ed1: ....
	  and hangs. I let it wait for an hour and it never continued
	  booting. I'll try to investigate, when I'm done installing.
	  The card worked just fine in a newer Pentium-II laptop under
	  FreeBSD-5.x

	. So I switched to the wireless card. This worked flawlessly
	  except it bound -- without asking me for any WiFi parameters
	  -- to my neighbor's unprotected access point. Mine is
	  protected, but sysinstall did not give me a chance to enter
	  the network name nor the password -- I agreed to try DHCP and
	  there it was. This can land someone into a legal trouble...

	. WITNESS et. al suck -- this is the first time in my life, when an
	  Internet install was CPU-bound. The chunks would start arriving
	  at 300Kb/second, but the extraction to disk would throttle
	  things down to about 90-110Kb/second for regular distributions
	  and 27Kb/second for the ports (lots of small files). Once the
	  base install was about 60% through, I was able to start systat
	  the "emergency shell" (ALT-F4) and saw that, indeed, the
	  system part of the CPU would run at sustained 80-90%. I know,
	  what WITNESS is for, but the next BETA should, probably, come
	  with it disabled -- there may be something triggered by its
	  absence.

	. Dangerously dedicated mode did not work -- things installed,
	  but the BIOS would not boot (Read Error).

	. Trying to create 4 separate entries (ad0s1a for /,
	  ad0s2b for swap, ad0s3x for /var, and ad0s4x for /home) did
	  not work either -- things installed, but would not boot
	  complaining about "Invalid Partition Table". It was, indeed,
	  invalid, when I rebooted from the CD again and went into
	  Partition part of the install. In addition to the entries I
	  created, there were duplicates with names like ad0cs3 or
	  something...

	. The third install succeeded with non-dangerous full disk and
	  separate file-systems and swap on ad0s1a, b, e, and d.

	. Trying to cvs-checkout src from anoncvs.FreeBSD.org over ssh
	  would not work. Despite my specifying -R (for read-only), the
	  server kept complaining about being unable to write some file.

	. Non-anonymous read-only cvs-checkout from ncvs succeeded, but
	  exposed a lock-order reversal complaint (see the attached dmesg).

	. Should not wlan be dragged into the kernel _automatically_,
	  when its dependents (like wi) are selected? Kernel would
	  not link without it, should not config do something about it?

	. World-rebuild is still running (with the attached make.conf)
	  -- about 8 hours already. WITNESS/INVARIANTS, probably, have
	  something to do with it too -- the disk is, obviously, not fast,
	  but the average load is firmly at 1.0 (or slightly above),
	  meaning that kernel keeps the CPU busy.

That's it so far. Thanks for your time.

	-mi