Re: panic after removing usb flash drive

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:06:46 +0930
On Wednesday 31 August 2005 12:34, Ben Kaduk wrote:
> Of course, if you did unmount the filesystem before pulling the drive, then
> this shoule be looked into.

IMHO it would be really nice if you could tell the kernel that it should just
ditch the data (and whine to the log file) instead of panicing.

For your "main" file systems the panic approach is sensible, but for removable
things it's more likely to cause data loss I think (because the panic could
eat data on your other drives).

Although last time I saw this discussed I came away with the impression that
it wasn't possible for the kernel to do this..? (without substantial work
anyway)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum