Re: 6.0-BETA3 bge0 and vlans

From: Yar Tikhiy <yar_at_comp.chem.msu.su>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:54:48 +0400
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 08:30:24PM +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> >On Tuesday 30 August 2005 01:23 pm, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm having no success setting vlans up on a bge interface.  Can anyone
> >>confirm they work?  I've got no problems using them on fxp interfaces,
> >>so I'm pretty sure it's not user error...  Everything looks good but I
> >>can get no packets through the vlan interface (the parent interface
> >>works as expected).  Can anyone actually confirm that vlans work with
> >>bge cards?  My card is a BCM5704 (vend=0x14e4, prod=0x1648, rev=0x03)
> >
> >It was discussed here but I don't think any actions were taken
> >actually.  Follow the thread:
> >
> >http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?9256D57F598E6C41B288AA7DB94F29C902DFB963

This seems a different problem to me.  Can't tell if it still exists.
Perhaps it has to do with doing promiscuous mode (tcpdump) and hardware
tagging on bge0 at once.  We saw this problem on em(4) already.  Alas,
my test machine with bge(4) will stay down for quite a while.

> Ah yes.  After sending that, I did a bit more googling. The patch
> contained in
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2005-April/006932.html
> fixes the problem for me...

Keep in mind that that patch hides the problem instead of fixing it.

The problem was fixed in CURRENT yesterday by glebius_at_.
If you would like to stay with 6.0-BETA3 for now, please
apply the following patch to /sys/net/if_vlan.c:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/net/if_vlan.c.diff?r1=1.81&r2=1.82

Than you'll be able to use the unpatched if_bge.c.

--
Yar