Re: After crash, / comes up mounted read-only, but in multiuser; mfs /tmp?

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:05:54 -0800
othermark wrote this message on Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 08:55 -0800:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>
> > On Friday 02 December 2005 08:33 am, David Xu wrote:
> >> Robert Watson wrote:
> > I've seen reports that mount -u -w / works whereas mount -u -o rw /
> > doesn't, so you might be able to mount -u -w / in single user mode after
> > running fsck
> > as a way to recover.  Either that or boot single user, run fsck, and then
> > reboot before going into multiuser.
>
> Yep, that's what I found.   mount -o rw  no longer works only -w.
> Interestingly '-o rw' is not in the manpage, which is how I originally
> discovered that '-w' was working.  One script in rc.d appears to use it.
>
> However I think it would be better to fix the mount options they way they
> were.   I noticed also that if you go multi-user after a crash, you'll get
> the mfs mounts noted above and in addition the only way to mount / is to
> reboot.  Dropping to single user and attempting to mount -w after the fsck
> completes complains about invalid argument or invalid device /dev/ad0s1a.

If we do this, then we should require people to remove the rw option from
their fstab file:
grep rw /etc/fstab
/dev/ar0s1a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/ar0s1e		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ar0s1d		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ar1e		/a		ufs	rw		1	2
/dev/ar0s1f		/d		ufs	rw,nosuid	2	2
#/dev/ad0s1g		/g		ufs	rw,nosuid	1	2
proc			/proc		procfs	rw		0	0

Otherwise, that won't/shouldn't work...  since the rw line is the
options passed to -o...  which is probably why some of us use it w/o
thinking..  :)

Though it looks like there is a patch that addresses this issue...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579