Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc rc.shutdown rc.subr src/etc/rc.d localpkg src/sys/sys param.h

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 18:42:37 -0800
Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 06:16:48PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>>> Do you mean that scripts without .sh runs in
>>> the subshell and not damage main shell?
>> Yes, that's what I mean. Once again, sorry I wasn't clear. I've been staring
>> at this for too long now. :)
>
> Just to clarify it finally. You state that there is a big difference
> between system /etc/rc.d scripts (without .sh) which all runs in the
> single shell

No. The way things stand now, all scripts named foo.sh are sourced into the
main shell, and everything else (base scripts, local scripts, whatever) are
all run in subshells. You could answer this for yourself by looking in
/etc/rc.subr if it's still not clear.

>> I should have mentioned in my last message that I did take a quick look at
>> the script itself, and didn't see anything that should be a problem, but as
>
> /usr/bin/limits is the problem there because it change limits for whole
> shell, not for command which just invoked. If all scripts runs in the same
> shell, all subsequential of them will be affected.

Assuming you're right about that, then you should do something like what I
suggested in the patch I sent so that the script gets installed as apache
instead of apache.sh.

hth,

Doug