Re: Brief Report: IBM/Lenovo z60t notebook with FreeBSD

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 20:19:44 +0000 (GMT)
> I was able to get the atheros card working with the NDIS Project Evil
> magic.  You can find the AR5211.SYS and NET5211.INF files on the Windows
> partition (I mounted the partition using ntfs support in FreeBSD without a
> hitch to copy them over).  I had to tweak the INF file so that it could be
> parsed by ndisgen to comment out the following two lines:
>
>    [5211.reg.security]
>    "D:ARAI(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;CI;GA;;;IO)

I'm not sure how to fix the lex/yacc parser to avoid this. Suggestions
welcome. For now, I just edit the .inf file too.

> However, I was unable to get the card to go into both 802.11b mode and ad
> hoc mode at the same time.  I need to send Bill Paul a useful report,
> although possibly once I'm back from travel.

You don't "get the card to go into both 802.11b mode and ad hoc mode"
at the same time. You just do "ifconfig ndis0 ssid moo mediaopt adhoc"
and if there's another station in ad-hoc mode around on ssid moo,
it'll associate with it with no further tweaking, whether it's 802.11b
or 802.11g. For 802.11a ad-hoc cells, you may have to change the
channel (it's been a while since I've tried it). I set up an 802.11b
only ad-hoc net for some friends at their house recently, and my laptop
with Atheros-based cardbus card and Project Evil was able to associate
with it without any problems (with WEP too).

So I have no idea what your problem is. It should "just work."

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose