Re: Brief Report: IBM/Lenovo z60t notebook with FreeBSD

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:16:12 -0700 (MST)
In message: <20051203110534.N98873_at_fledge.watson.org>
            Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: At the end of the day, I have most things working with this notebook
: except for the following:
:
: - The Ricoh SD card reader is unsupported.  Google suggests that Linux
:    also doesn't support it, and that although there's a reverse engineering
:    effort going on, it has made limited progress.  They're looking for
:    volunteers if anyone is interested in learning about reverse
:    engineering.

The Ricoh SD card reader uses the SD Standard Host Interface, as do
the TI chipsets.  Sadly, the SD Standard Host Interface version 1.0
(and all other) documents are available only under extreme NDA.
There's been a few 'leaks' in the interface via different data sheets
and such (I snagged my copies while I could).  The SD consortium does
this to protect the DRM functions they added over MMC.  However, the
real reason many think they do this is to assure their revenue
stream.

The MMC/SD card reader also needs a mmc bus driver as well.  I'll be
working on one for a port to an embedded part I'm doing for work,
since we'll likely be storing our configuration data on a MMC part...

Generally finding data on the 'standard host interface' for the SD,
MMC, MemoryStick or SmartMedia adapters is an excersize in
frustration. :-(

Warner