Re: make.conf options you cannot use for building CURRENT

From: Fredrik Lindberg <fli+freebsd-current_at_shapeshifter.se>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:32:01 +0100
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Fredrik Lindberg <fli+freebsd-current_at_shapeshifter.se> writes:
>
>>I introduced powerd to pthreads so this is most likely my fault.
>

> There is no reason to use threads in powerd.  Simply merge the
> devd_read() loop into your main loop, using select() with a timeout
> instead of usleep().

Wouldn't that turn in into a polling style again?. The reason to use
devd was to obtain a more interrupt driven model instead of the
sysctl-polling method originally used. Both metods are supported and
the devd method is only used if the devd.pipe is avaiable.

Obtaining the AC line state, which occurs at each iteration, requires
in the devd case, only reading a variable which is very cheap.
However, admittedly, I haven't studied the code for select, and it might
be cheap enough.

powerd can still run without pthreads (using the sysctl-method), it
just needs the proper make magic.

Fredrik Lindberg