Re: puc fails to attach serial ports

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson_at_ury.york.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:00:53 +0000
On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 11:01 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > OK, I've cracked what's happening.  Indeed we are somehow missing a call
> > to devclass_add_driver(9).  I was loading puc as a module, and in that
> > case the following relevant calls to devclass_add_driver are made:
> >
> Because sio(4) only includes sio_puc.c in the kernel if you have 'puc' in your
> kernel config, and the puc kernel module only includes the puc files, it
> doesn't include sio_puc.c and ppc_puc.c.  uart has the same issue as well.
> Looking at the three attachments, there's no reason for them to be dependent
> on puc, they don't actually call any symbols in the puc(4) kernel module
> itself, so they can be compiled into kernels w/o puc without causing any
> harm.  Then loading puc as a module would work.  Here's a patch:

Thanks!  I can confirm that this patch fixes the problem I was seeing.

I understand David O'Brien's concerns about the patch and associated
increase in kernel size, but as it stands, there seems to be little
point in creating a puc module as it cannot work with the GENERIC kernel
(other than for devices using uart, as that isn't in GENERIC).

Gavin