Re: skype-1.2.0.18-static for linux and FreeBSD 7.0 CURRENT

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:49:21 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 eculp_at_bafirst.com wrote:

> Quoting John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>:
>
> > On Thursday 15 December 2005 11:00 am, Goran Gajic wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have figgured out, adding:
> >>
> >> options DEBUG_LOCKS
> >> options DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS
> >>
> >> to the GENERIC config will efectevly cause skype to reboot 7.0-CURRENT
> >> when username and password are entered at skype login.
> >>
> >> this has nothing to do with panic caused by kldunload linux.ko I have
> >> reported earlier.
> >>

> >> Reagrds,
> >> Goran Gajic
> >
> > If you are in X this is probably a panic (currently the kernel doesn't create
> > a coredump while you are in X which is a bug).  Can you hook up a serial
> > console and use that to get the panic message?
>
> I've been seeing this problem on current for a while but the strange
> part about my reboot is that it is only when running KDE.  I can start
> and stop skype in Gnome and twm with no problem.

KDE typically uses ARTS for its sound system backend .. its possible that
ARTS and skype don't play well and end up triggering a nasty bug in the
sound driver.  Try disabling the sound system support from within KDE,
then log out and log back in and try skype again. If that works then we
need to figure out what the collision between arts and skype is.