Re: "Native" journaling file systems?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:12:28 +0100 (CET)
Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h_at_lvor.halvorsen.cc> wrote:
 > On 12/19/05, Justin Smith <jsmith_at_drexel.edu> wrote:
 > > Are there any plans to develop UFS3--- i.e., a UFS2 file system with an
 > > added journal?
 >
 > Take a look at the gjournal system developed by Ivan Voras as a Google
 > Summer of Code project. I don't know how stable that is, but it's
 > probably worth a look.
 >
 > http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/gjournal.html

It has one problem:  After a crash, you cannot simply
replay the journal in order to get the file system into
a consistent state.  You still have to run a full-blown
fsck.

That problem renders gjournal rather useless.

 > Also; Read-only XFS support was commited to 7.0 last week. Write
 > support is probably comming when the developer has time to write it.

I would very much hope so (even though it is GPL so it
can never replace UFS in FreeBSD).  But write support is
probably ten times more complex than read-only support,
so that's a huge amount of work.  I wouldn't hold my
breath.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I started using PostgreSQL around a month ago, and the feeling is
similar to the switch from Linux to FreeBSD in '96 -- 'wow!'."
        -- Oddbjorn Steffensen