Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006

From: Jo Rhett <jrhett_at_svcolo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:14:02 -0800
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:35:34PM +0100, K?vesd?n G?bor wrote:
> I agree. And after all, tracking a security branch isn't too difficult,
> but the most people think that they have to do a complete "make
> buildworld" after a security advisory, but this isn't true. For example
> there was that cvsbug issue in September:
		..
> # make obj && make depend && make && make install
>
> Is that difficult? I don't think so. No reboot required and it doesn't
> take more than 5 minutes even on a slower machine.

This comment demonstrates that you are again talking about home computers,
while all of my comments indicated that I was talking about production
systems.  Ones that may not have sufficient memory to compile code, or
local disks, or...

In any case, you are right.  This kind of patch is easy to apply.  You can
build it on a central server and synchronize it outwards to the others.
The existing binary update mechanisms can handle this situation fairly
well.

But more "core OS" upgrades means less of these patches and more
requirement for a full binary upgrade.  Which is NOT easy like this.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek