Re: Can't run KDE after cvsup

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:01:47 -0800
Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2005-12-26 15:38, Nicolas Blais <nb_root_at_videotron.ca> wrote:
>> Reply to self:
>>
>> Found the problem, it was /tmp/.ICE-unix/ which was owned by my
>> username instead of root for some reason.  chown'ing it back to root
>> solved my problem.
>
> There are a few buglets in recent versions of /etc/rc.d/cleantmp.
> I found that reverting back to revision 1.12 of this file `solves'
> the new bugs, so it may help you to do this too until we can find
> a way to really solve the bugs without going back with Doug Barton's
> help :)

Well, a good start would be to let me know what the buglets are. :) This
script is basically very screwy. The old version violated the rc.d standards
badly, but the problem is that some parts of that behavior were necessary to
make things work.

I'm actually tempted to just scrap the whole thing, and start over with two
new scripts, one to handle X related stuff, and one to handle everything
else. That would simplify a lot of stuff, and probably work better anyway.

In any case, please let me know what you're seeing, and how your stuff is
configured (/tmp as a directory on /, /tmp as its own fs, /tmp as a memory
disk, etc.) and we'll work things out.

Doug