Re: Dual core CPUs support for the second time

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:58:02 -0700
Tomas Randa wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I`d like to thank for all responses, but my testing of everything was
> unsuccessfull in motherboard I have :(
> I have one general question? Could it be, because I am using this modern
> motherboard with modern chipset which could be unsupported in FBSD?
> My motherboard is very new SuperMicro H8SSL-i with ServerWorks HT1000
> chipset, but in his BIOS, there are correctly written 2 cores in 1
> physical CPU and CPU is recognized as dual core Athlon 64 X2
>
> What is confusing me is dmesg - for example from current/i386 - system
> show correctly 2 cores per package, but second CPU is not launched or
> recognized by ioapic.
>
> I tried upgrade BIOS with unofficial version, which sent me technical
> support of SuperMicro, but no change.
>
> DMESG attached to this message
>

> Thanks a lot for any help.
>
> Tomas Randa

I don't see anything in your dmesg about the APIC devices that should be
there.  Did you somehow omit that from your kernel config, or have it
disabled in /boot/loader.conf?  Without the apic device, the other CPU's
can't get started.  Can you run 'acpidump -d -t' and 'mptable'?  Are you
running an i386 or amd64 kernel?

Scott