Re: IBM Blade Center - FreeBSD on HS20 type MTM 8832/N1X

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:29:42 +0100
Andrea Brancatelli wrote:

>Hello everybody.
>
>Had a nice Xmas holidays? Hope so.
>
>I recently started working in a new company where I'm trying to evangelize
>FreeBSD. I succesfully got the internal proxies switched to FreeBSD and
>started to gain some credibility, so yesterday I got a free blade from their
>BladeCenter just for me to experiment with FreeBSD and such.
>
>So I popped in the FreeBSD CD-Rom (the mini-ISO) to install FreeBSD 6.0 on
>this nice machine but it didn't work out.
>
>Here's the symptoms... when booting from CD the CD boots regulary, then the
>"searching for Kernel" part comes in, the whirl starts spinning and
>everything stop. I mean, it doesn't stop, it keeps spinning and spinning and
>spinning and spinning, but without doing anything. If I take the CD out of
>the drive it returns and error complaining it can't find the Kernel and
>asking me where it should look for it.
>
>I don't have a kernel in my pocket so if it doesn't find the one on the CD I'm
>pretty blocked.
>
>Do anyone any interesting idea in how to solve this issue?
>
>The hardware layout, for those who may not know it.
>
>It's a dual xeon machine with 4gb of ram, 2 internal (S-ATA) drives (40gb
>each), one (possibily deactivable) internal Raid controller (deactivating
>this may be a good try, since Debiand refuses to see the drive as well with
>this turned on), a SCSI cdrom and a SCSI  floppy drive.
>
>I don't have any fiber optic channel so the SAN/multipath and everything else
>is not an issue. The keyboard is a PS/2 one, so the USB keyboard isn't an
>issue as well (I'm writing this because I did some digging in the archives
>for similar problems).

Are you sure it's not USB?
We have a LS20 blade-center and the whole media-bay (where floppy and
cdrom live) and the KVM are connected via USB - it's even USB1.1, so
installling something from CDROM is dead-slow (in addition, the
brain-dead java remote-console together with this USB-CDROM-crazyness
makes remote-installation of RHEL3+4 impossible...).

Your floppy is not SCSI, rather it's connected via USB and the kernel
makes it look like a SCSI-device...

We've got no local drives, only SAN and as such FreeBSD is pretty much a
no-go. I need something that works (and is supported) with my SAN...

Rainer