Re: WEP Encryption Changes

From: Vladimir Egorin <vladimir_at_math.uic.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:13:40 -0600
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:14:18PM -0600, Ryan Sommers wrote:
	> I recently (Jan 17) updated my laptop to the latest current. The last
	> update was in November. After the latest update my WEP wireless stopped
	> working. After playing with it. It appears something is amiss in the Tx
	> key for me. I'm able to see broadcast packets coming over the wap just
	> fine. They don't appear to be corrupt. However, nothing from the laptop
	> gets to the wap. I'm wondering if Sam's update of sys/net80211 back in
	> December might be the culprit.
	>
	> One thing I did notice was the new deftxkey option in ifconfig. I
	> attempted to set this to 1 (to use the first and only key), didn't help.
	>
	> What all would I need to roll back to reverse these changes? Just
	> sys/net80211 or would I need to hit sys/dev/wi also?
	>
	> Are there any better tools besides another wireless card (only have one
	> unfortunately) to debug the frames? tcpdump seems to only get me so far.
	>
	> For the record this is a Lucent embedded WaveLAN (Dell Trumobile 1150)
	> firmware 8.10.1.
	>
	> --
	> Ryan Sommers
	> ryans_at_gamersimpact.com

Would this help?  :

20041219:
        Auto-loading of ancillary wlan modules such as wlan_wep has
        been temporarily disabled; you need to statically configure
        the modules you need into your kernel or explicitly load them
        prior to use.  Specifically, if you intend to use WEP encryption
        with an 802.11 device load/configure wlan_wep; if you want to
        use WPA with the ath driver load/configure wlan_tkip, wlan_ccmp,
        and wlan_xauth as required.

--
Vladimir