Re: WEP Encryption Changes

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:09:43 -0800
Ryan Sommers wrote:
> Tai-hwa Liang said:
>
>>On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 21:14 -0600, Ryan Sommers wrote:
>>>I remember having to add 'weptxkey 1' to the ifconfig line when these
>>>changes went in.
>>>

>>   It's a -CURRENT cvsup'ed on Jan-28-2005. Setting the default TX key
>>with "deftxkey" did the trick for me.
>

> Setting weptxkey worked. Setting the default didn't or at least it didn't
> the number of times I tried setting it.

I don't know what "the default" is.  If you do

ifconfig wi0 txkey -

or

ifconfig wi0 txkey undef

then it resets the tx key state to be undefined; as it is when a device
first comes up.  In this state there is no default tx key to apply to
outbound frames.

Note that this is a change in behaviour from before my changes to
support WPA.  I found that having the default tx key set by default is
error prone.  Unfortunately I missed adding this to UPDATING and have
yet to update the various manual pages because some of this code is
still a bit fluid.  I will add it to my TODO list.

> One thing I find odd is that the wepkey isn't automatically set as the Tx
> key as well. Are there any implementations that by default don't use the
> same key for Rx and Tx?

Having implicit side effects for operations like setting a key can be a
pain.  ifconfig has the netbsd nwkey shorthand that you may find useful.

> Either way, I've added this to my list of things to look at. I don't
> imagine it being all that difficult to set the Tx key to the first entered
> WEP key.

Try nwkey.

	Sam