Re: ATA mkIII first official patches - please test!

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:37:42 +0100
Frode Nordahl wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2005, at 21:52, Søren Schmidt wrote:
>
>> ATA-mkIII first official snapshot.
>
> Yes! Just in time! Thanks, Søren :-)
>
> Using kernel from RELENG_5, supped yesterday.
>
> Tried to install on in a box with a Promise TX 2200 card, the bootup
> took forever, but the install worked fine when it finished.
>
> Maby related to the third "phantom" PATA bus on that board? :-)

Well its doesn't stall on the one I've got here (thanks btw! :) )..
Could you get the output from a verbose boot with it somehow ?

>> o       ATA RAID support has been rewritten and and now supports these
>>         metadata formats:
>>                 "Adaptec HostRAID"
>>                 "Highpoint V2 RocketRAID"
>>                 "Highpoint V3 RocketRAID"
>>                 "Intel MatrixRAID"
>>                 "Integrated Technology Express"
>>                 "LSILogic V2 MegaRAID"
>>                 "LSILogic V3 MegaRAID"
>>                 "Promise FastTrak"
>>                 "Silicon Image Medley"
>

> This works with my Intel S875WP1-E with Intel ICH5 / Adaptec HostRAID
> onboard!

Good :)

> However, if I create a RAID1 array in "Quick Mode", installation failes
> with write errors ("disk full"). The Adaptec management BIOS warns about
> creating arrays in Quick Mode, so this may be a problem of theirs.
>
> Anyway, is there any way to detect that an array is created in this way,
> and handle it, or warn about it?

Hmm, it just means that it doesn't copy data so both disks are
identical, for our purpose thats of no importance. Maybe I did mess up
the size reporting somehow, I'll check...

> I can no longer use my swap partition as dump device:
>
> # dumpon /dev/ar0s1b
> dumpon: ioctl(DIOCSKERNELDUMP): Operation not supported by device
>
> But I'm not certain that it has ever been allowed? :-)

It was allowed, but I havn't gotten to reimplement dump in ataraid yet.

--

-Søren