Re: 5-STABLE to 6-CURRENT

From: Richard Coleman <rcoleman_at_criticalmagic.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:37:13 -0500
Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> On Monday 07 February 2005 09:51, Richard Coleman wrote:
>

>>I just did this exact upgrade on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4100) a few
>>days ago, and didn't have a problem.  The only extra step that I did was
>>start with a clean copy of GENERIC and merge in my changes, rather than
>>carry over my old kernel config file (although I'm not sure if it was
>>really necessary).  So far, everything is running fine.
>

> And what was your procedure? :) Normal make buildworld/kernel/reboot, etc?

Yes.  I keep a copy of the cvs tree on my laptop.  So, I just checked
out HEAD, copied GENERIC and modified it, then did the normal procedure
for building and installing a new kernel and world (including reboot
into single user mode, install world, mergemaster, etc).  Essentially
the same procedure that is in the handbook, or at the bottom of UPDATING.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman_at_criticalmagic.com