Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Peter Schultz <pmes_at_bis.midco.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:21:59 -0600
On Feb 7, 2005, at 9:51 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Future similar threads to "Subject: The case for FreeBSD"
> are probably better started on <advocacy_at_freebsd.org>

I'm guessing one of the reasons Scott started the thread on this list
is because not many people are subscribed to advocacy.

>> Since it's superbowl sunday,
>
>  - Ice Cream Sunday in an extra large bowl to share ?
>  - Super fast bowling in limited overs cricket at the Oval ?
>  - American ball game irrelevant to BSD & rest of world ?
>> take Joe Montana for instance.  If he ....
>> ... even people who've never
>> touched a football know who he is.
>
> Americans might.   This global mail list is not a `world'
> list as in USA's wrongly named just national `World Series' ;-)

In case you didn't realize, there are several Canadian baseball teams.

Anyway, I didn't say *everyone* knows who Joe Montana is, although your
poor snipping job made it look as if I did.  I could have just as well
made my point using a superstar from science, such as Albert Einstein,
or Blaise Pascal.  These guys stuck their neck out for what they
believed to be true, and that's what I think the FreeBSD Foundation
needs to do in order to get FreeBSD into the mainstream.

Does the FreeBSD Foundation believe FreeBSD is ready for the
mainstream?  I don't know, but this is the appropriate forum for that
kind of discussion, because if FreeBSD is not ready, current is the
place to figure out why and what needs to be done to make it ready.

I've only been down with the cause for around six years, but FreeBSD
seems as ready as it'll ever be.  I have no idea how much a modest ad
campaign would cost, but it sure seems like the only option to get
FreeBSD out into the public mind.

Pete...