Re: FW: Call for comments: CoxR, a CVS/mail-lists/BTS

From: Panagiotis Astithas <past_at_ebs.gr>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:26:16 +0200
Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, ALeine wrote:
>

>>Oh come, FreeBSD 5.x does have a mutex hell going on, but to say it has
>>so many bugs as to require a truck is absurd. :-> A smaller lorry
>>perhaps, but a truck - definitely not. :-) It might also be a good idea
>>to use an automated spell-check on your pages, I've noticed a number of
>>typos such as "divelopers" and similar.
>

> I appreciate that not everyone is a fan of mutex synchronization, but
> "mutex hell" is a bit of an odd description: most bugs I see getting
> reported (and fixed) aren't even locking-related.  They're generally a
> property of lack of testing exposure for more obscure features or edge
> cases that are hard to test for without a wide testing base, such as
> edge-case hardware, bugs associated with longer run times, or a recently
> introduced feature, etc. Generally speaking, in the last week, I saw a
> couple of classes of bug fix fly by in commits, in order of frequency of
> occurence:
>
> - Minor device driver bugs involving alignment, feature mapping for device
>   IDs, attach/detach bugs, error handling, etc.  In one case, the bug was
>   that a device driver was able to run MPSAFE, but the flag was set
>   incorrectly to not let it.  As usual, a moderate amount of change in
>   ACPI.  This was the vast majority of bug fixes.
>
> - Network stack logical errors or C-related errors: generally, doing
>   something wrong with mbufs or routing.  Mostly "syntax" and not
>   "semantics", although a couple of netflow bugs that were more serious
>   and the result of more broad exposure since its commit (last month?).
>
> - Scheduling related bugs in ULE -- Jeff MFC'd a number of fixes to
>   RELENG_5 for the first time in several months, so there was some
>   backlog, but I think it's not unusual to see a trickle of scheduling
>   related changes, so isn't entirely unrepresentative.
>
> - VFS/file system bugs -- a couple were locking related as a result of
>   Jeff's on-going work to get Giant off of the file system code, but more
>   were associated with on-going buffer cache work by Poul-Henning.
>
> While I haven't made any attempt to determine if the last week is
> "typical" of long term bug fixes, it was easily on-hand, and the results
> are suggestive.  Locking, as with other complex changes in the OS, comes
> with bugs, but it's hardly "hell" :-).  One of the nice things about the
> locking approach to synchronization is that it comes with a strong
> assertion model: this means you can often find bugs without actually
> triggering the symptoms of the bugs, which may be difficult to trigger or
> very sensitive to timing.  So when there are locking bug fixes, there more
> often found through a WITNESS warning than an exercised bug.  When I do
> complex application pthreads programming, I often wish it had the
> threading/locking debugging facilities the FreeBSD kernel has :-).

Very informative posting, as usual. Have you considered starting a blog
somewhere, so that these longish and of general interest messages can be
easily found by non-subscribers to the lists? I have been appreciating
the information I get from the blogs of Solaris or Linux engineers and
it seems journalists monitor them to spot newsworthy material. If we can
get a few of our senior hackers to start blogging a little, it might
help spread out the word about FreeBSD.

Cheers,

Panagiotis