Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: njc <njc_at_fightevil.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:05:35 -0800
Scott Long wrote:
> We need more people
> who will write articles and papers and do benchmarks and regression
> testing.  That's not to say that we don't already have people filling
> these roles, it's to say that we need more.

Scott -

  Do you, or possibly other developers, have any suggestions on the best way to organize
a community-driven testbed and quality assurance effort? Specifically - what would be the most
convenient form and method for a BSD developer to receive feedback for patch testing, are there
any recommended testing procedures (methods && tools), etc? I'm aware that FreeBSD has access
to a few high-performance computing environments, but as was mentioned, some edge cases are
missed as well as general feedback from the user base is lacking for your current needs.
Provided there's a base of dedicated users who are willing to regularly test and verify
specific subsystems in multiple configurations, maybe there's a chance at improving of the
disadvantages that have been mentioned in this thread. Ideally, an effort geared towards
not only patch testing and timely feedback, but also regularly published benchmarks,
articles focusing on systems engineering with FreeBSD, and (most importantly) cultivating
other active users who have first-hand experience with FreeBSD performance and quality.

  Are there any other users who have the time and would be interested in participating in something
like this? Maybe even just to get it started?

-njc