Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Claus Guttesen <cguttesen_at_yahoo.dk>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:36:56 +0100 (CET)
> One of the main "stumbling blocks" to using FreeBSD
> is the installation
> process. I have had "lots of fun" (not!) with
> NetBSD's line-mode/shell-script
> "installer" and confusing companion installation
> instructions, in the past; I
> only tried OpenBSD once and don't remember anything
> about its installation
> process, but I seem to recall that it was similar to
> NetBSD's; FreeBSD's
> 'DOS-like menu' system is a travisty and IS PROBABLY
> THE ONE THING THAT TURNS
> OFF MORE PROSPECTIVE FBSD USERS THAN ANYTHING ELSE -
> I know - I have heard!

I may be doing something which I'm not supposed to,
but I've been trying (very hard since I'm not used to
Linux anymore ;-) to install Linux on our Dell 2850
with a Perc-controller to do some comparative
measurements.

Gentoo, nice but tedious installer, way too much
manual typing, installed, but refused to boot.
Slackware, did not detect the Perc-controller, ubuntu
did not either, Suse stops during the
installation-process.

5.3 (i386) install's without problems, the
amd64-installer  needs some tweaking (set
hw.physmem="2G") at the boot prompt which may hinder
some folks from trying FreeBSD out.

My point is that Linux seems to have it's own rough
edges.

regards
Claus