compability

From: Сандыкбаев Кайрат <kairatsan_at_rambler.ru>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:57:12 +0600
Good day! I am writing this letter after to much letter in Broadcom, but they did't help me. So, in our company we planed to by router with 6 optic 1000 Mb/s adapters and 16 Eth 100Mb/s with function:

1. routing

2. firewalling

3. vlans 2,3 level.

Each optic adapter is connected to Nortel switch(BPS) wich have optic module and that BPS connected by cascade to another BPS on on same floor, because on every floor are about 100 users. 16 Eth adapters connected in internal servers and connected to servers in DMZ. This solution now is working on Passport 1200(Nortel) or just Accelar. But this router have't firewallig. ON desktops of users installed the "BEST" operating system Windows. To much our users working in Internet and have ICQ and working with disks from outside and when somebody of PC infected like for example Blaster or another ANTI MS viruses that PC genereating very big traffic by net. Thats why before we asked from popular cisco company how much price of router with function as I said above and what you think they said us 190000$. It's unbeleavable! Of course I am like administrator which love only freebsd (all our server like mail,www, etc working only with OS FreeBSD) said ok let's take some small server with 6 PCI or PCI-X slots and insert there optic NIC's and we will have router level 7 with all functions as we need. So we find the server: ProLiant ML570 with inserted HP NC6770 PCI-X Gigabit server adapter, 1000-SX (chipset Broadcom 5701(h)). Our reseller not have this adapters and for testing we need to buy them. But I think that much better asking you about corresponding device to FreeBSD because your company can your company nearly to Broadcom from me and your reseller can give you for test this card. If your test will be unhappy can you say wich adapters is compatible with FreeBSD. If every think will be OK I will go to cisco and will say that we have another solution not expensive and 100 times better than their. Please help me I very want to proof them that FreeBSD more cool!

With Best Regards,

Kairat Sandykbayev.

system administrator.