Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:04:56 -0700 (MST)
Tobias Roth said:
> My favorite quote from that article:
>
> "In addition, the project is also working on porting baselayout to
> Gentoo/FreeBSD in such a way that makes the management of startup
> services as easy as in Gentoo Linux."
>
> They cannot possibly be serious...

Personally, instead of laughing at them I think we need to embrace their
efforts. Corporate development and backing is one area Linux has the clear
advantage over FreeBSD and something like the Gentoo name coupled with
FreeBSD can help spread the word.

I applaud their effort to merge FreeBSD with their own projects. While I
think they might be a little stuck in the Linux way of seperating userland
and kernel, "In a separate effort we are also looking into porting the
glibc and GNU userland to the FreeBSD kernel". We might be able to
convince them to our side of the BSD vs GPL fence.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com