Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:14:35 +0100
Ryan Sommers  wrote:[Live-CD's]> However, I DON'T think it should be
the job of the _at_freebsd.org > developers to maintain this assortment.
I believe it would be better > handled by individual groups. A certain
amount of core support in the > main distribution could be provided to
make everyone's lives easier, but > I don't imagine that being much
beyond where we all hope the project is > going.A while ago I worked
on an infrastructure to automate the creation of a set of live CD's.
You just have to specify the ports you want to have installed. It's
implemented as part of the ports collection, so it would also be
possible to automate this.My framework builds the world, populates a
chroot and builds the requested ports there. After this it does some
cleanup in the chroot and generates an ISO image. It uses an existing
src and ports tree (so a patched OS can be used for the CD).
Unfortunately I haven't finished it. The missing bits: testing if it
boots (I don't think so, some rc.conf settings (/tmp and /var aren't
rw yet) are missing for this) and no X11 (auto)configuration is done
(with a recent X.org it should be possible without alot of hardwired
knowledge).So as soon as a good framework exists, it should be easy
to produce various kinds of Live-CD's without alot of effort or
maintainance requirements.Bye, Alexander.-- http://www.Leidinger.net
Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7 http://www.FreeBSD.org
  netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137 Michael: Hi.  I'm Michael
Jackson, from The Jacksons.Homer: I'm Homer Simpson, from the
Simpsons.Stark Raving Dad