Re: Yet another sysinstall thread

From: Nicolas Souchu <nsouch_at_free.fr>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:17:40 +0100
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 08:41:39AM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Am Montag, den 07.02.2005, 20:06 -0800 schrieb Kris Kennaway:
>
> > Fine, yeah, sysinstall sucks, but writing emails proposing
> > specifications for how someone else should implement a replacement
> > isn't going to get that job done.  Thousands of words have been
> > written on that topic over the years, but precious little code.
>
> I've been trying to port one of my framebuffer-based linux applications,
> but I ran into problem with VESA-support on the terminal (inconsistent?
> incomplete?) and after even the simpliest VGA-based (320x200) apps
> failed to execute leaving me hanging in graphics mode and panic()ing,
> I gave up. This was my experience with libvgl last year.
>
> When I wrote to this list last year, someone suggested to take a look
> at KGI4BSD. That's of course nice, but to start programming something,
> it would be nice to have the feeling that you have everything you need

You should rather rely on GGI (http://www.ggi-project.org) It is very
versatile and will allow you to output on vgl(4) or KGI4BSD as you wish.
It gives graphic routines and generic framebuffer access.

> in the base distribution. And btw, I don't see KGI4BSD supporting VESA
> which I would prefer in the first step, because every VGA-card has got

VESA is fully supported. It is the most I use here.

> this interface and you don't need acceleration when developing simple
> applications. KGI4BSD seems to support Matrox- and ATI-only cards
> which I don't have here. I'm waiting for KGI4BSD to extend the driver
> support and to merge the code into -CURRENT. The people have a good
> idea there, but the project is moving slowly. Unfortunatelly, I

Indeed the project is slow :(

> cannot help with kernel development, because of lack of experience.
> It would be nice to see more effort and more developers working at
> this project.
>
> It is a piece of work to write a small widget toolkit and when you
> you run into trouble with basic things, it is no fun anymore.

GGI is your friend ;)

Nicholas