newfs limits? 10TB filesystem max?

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:03:45 -0600
I've just built an enormous 10TB filesystem.  When trying to newfs the disk, it bombed with something like "cannot allocate memory" after something like 23xxxxxxxxx sectors..  I noticed disklabel complains about disks with more than 2^32-1 sectors not being supported..

Is newfs supposed to be able to work?  I've used the -s option to newfs to limit my filesystem size to the max it would allow, which ends up being 11350482546 1K blocks, which means I'm only losing a couple GB, which is no sweat right now for me, but if someone wanted a 20TB filesystem, they'd be hosed.

Also - what are the newfs implictions?  I have 1GB of RAM, is that enough?

I'm running 5.3-STABLE on this box right now..

Eric

I have seen the future and it is just like the present, only longer.