Re: where did all my memory go?

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:45:50 -0600
Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:13:13PM -0800, Sean McNeil wrote:

>>>Speaking of this - is there a way to flush the disk cache?

[..snip..]

> Sync writes dirty pages, it does not return pages to the free list.
> There is no reason to agressivly return pages to the free list under
> normal load, the system knows which pages have not been modified and
> thus can be added to the free list at virtual no cost so why free pages
> that might be used again.  There's little cost in defering that and very
> large potential savings if the data is accessed again later.  One way
> this can happen is if you mmap a file and read it, those pages will be
> mapped and will remain mapped until something pushes them out.  If they
> are unmodifed, another process that has access to the same data can use
> the cached copy rather then doing a read from disk.

Thanks Brooks for the simple explanation!  Makes total sense to me, and is pretty much what I had understood - I was mostly curious :)

On that same topic - let's say someone has a 1TB file, and is using that with geom gate - would portions of that file still be cached as said above, or would they somehow be bypassing the potential caching abilities of the system?  What about a geom gate connected directly to a device? Is those cases, would there be any benefit to having a large amount of memory available for caching?

Eric

I have seen the future and it is just like the present, only longer.