Re: single user v multiuser boot

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:04:23 -0800
Alex Burke wrote this message on Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 00:33 +0000:
> I was wondering what gives the kernel the ability to boot in multiuser
> mode, and whether it is some code in the kernel or whether it is the
> init process and associated tools?

single user usually means that you have enough system that you have
a console running and possibly some disk device, though you can end
up using md as part of the kernel, and not require any real disk
devices to work...

multiuser usually implies that either disk or network is functional
to some degree where /etc/rc can start executing...

single user pretty much only requires /sbin/init and /bin/sh to "get"
to...

[...]

> I was thinking eventually of porting linux 390 drivers to FreeBSD, but
> im not sure if licensing issues come into that.

as long as you don't copy code from a GPL driver, you are fine, but there
is nothing that prevents you from writing your driver side by side, though
you have to resist the urge to copy lines.. :)

Also, FreeBSD's device system is significantly different, that only the
core parts of the driver can be used...

> Apologies if i have posted to the wrong mailing list, i am not sure
> what this comes under.

There was some discussion on freebsd-platforms about the S/390, though
that was a couple years ago...  Also the page at:
http://tzukanov.narod.ru/freebsd390/

seems to imply the project is dead, though I'm sure others are willing
to help...

/me is helping cognet out geting another arm platform supported.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579