Re: pcre in base system

From: Fred Gilham <gilham_at_csl.sri.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:13:13 -0800
> As the backward compatibility will not be destroyed,
> I felt that it would be good having such sed in the base.

Yes it will.  Code that depends on the PCRE version of SED will not
work under non PCRE versions of SED.  This is annoying.  I've had this
bite me from time to time with bash.  But at least in the bash case I
could install just install bash once I figured out that the stupid
shell script was using funky bash features.  In the PCRE SED case I
would not know what to do since it would come with some particular
version of FreeBSD.

> But if the default tool can be done better that it is now, why not
> do it better?

Because the default tool has a defacto standard behavior.

Just build a new tool.  FreeBSD is not Linux.

--
Fred Gilham                                         gilham_at_csl.sri.com
The density of a textbook must be inversely proportional to the