Re: Change tar to GNU

From: Tim Kientzle <tim_at_kientzle.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:49:13 -0800
Kaspars wrote:

>I have backup script build with tar and -newer options.
>on FreeBSD 4.x it worked and i see:
>$tar --version
>tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
>
>on FreeBSD 5.3 not working and I found:
>$tar --version
>bsdtar 1.01.011, libarchive 1.01.013
>Copyright (C) 2003-2004 Tim Kientzle
>
>So I understand that you change own tar to make different licence.

There were other reasons as well.

>I just thinking what is proper way to update tar to GNU tar to make
>working again my script?

Use "gtar" instead of "tar" in your script.

FreeBSD 5.x has a "gtar" in the base
system.  That may be removed in 6.x, but "gtar"
will continue to be available through ports
indefinitely with that name.  (Which will be
better for many people; the gtar in ports is
much newer than the gtar in the base system.)

If you would like to see particular options
added to bsdtar, please let me know.  I'm
always interested in finding out what features
people really use.

Tim Kientzle