Re: ad WRITE_DMA timing out frequently

From: Philipp Stutz <philipp.stutz_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:14:02 +0100
Reid Linnemann wrote:
> Colin Percival wrote:
>> Reid Linnemann wrote:
>>> ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=2085599
>>> ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=2085599
>>>  kernel: ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA timed out
>>> kernel: g_vfs_done():ad0s1d[WRITE(offset=52772864, length=16384)]error = 5
>>
>> Looks like a dying disk.

A few weeks ago I had the same problem on two different machines but
only when I synced two (mirrored) gvinum stripes/plexes. Think this was
with 5.3 release. Did the sync with the old vinum (and 5.2.1) and I
never again had these messages and the disk shows no defects.

>>> It seems to me that a sector on the disk might be dead in the
>>> ad0s1d slice (/var), but I want to be certain before I take
>>> further steps that the behavior I'm experiencing is positively
>>> unrelated to the migration to 6-CURRENT.
>>
>> Install sysutils/smartmontools from ports and use smartctl.  Odds
>> are that the drive has logged hundreds of errors by now.
>
> smartctl doesn't report any logged errors. On a hunch, I also dd'ed a
> file large enough to fill /var, hoping that it would crater on
> writing to that sector. It didn't. I know that's not a very useful
> test, but it seems to hint to me that the disk isn't bad, but the
> driver is freaking out from some event.

same here

philipp stutz

Content Security by MailMarshal