Re: newfs limits? 10TB filesystem max?

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:40:48 -0600
Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 04:16:37PM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>Wilko Bulte wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 09:12:16AM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote..

>>>Note the word 'sparse' :)
>>

>>That doesn't explain it much.. Is there a doc on how to create these sparse
>>filesystems?
>

> Creating sparse files, e.g. by using dd, is prety much unix basics.
> And via md(4) you can get a disk type device from a file.

Sorry - I understand how to make a file with dd, but 5000TB filesystem means to me someone has 5PB of space to put the filesystem on.. I had not heard anyone call a file a 'sparse file' with regards to dd before this, and the man page info for dd and sparse isn't all that telling.

> testdisk=/tmp/testdisk
> dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1 oseek=2m of=${testdisk}
> mdev=`mdconfig -a -t vnode -f ${testdisk}`
>
> I don't know if md(4) works with such large disks, but it's very likely
> that is does.

I see that running the command gives a 1GB file, that takes very little disk space.  I must have missed this option in the dd man pages, or never looked for it.

Thanks for the command line

Eric

I have seen the future and it is just like the present, only longer.