Hard hangs running 6-current.

From: Frank Mayhar <frank_at_exit.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:36:07 -0800 (PST)
Okay, I've almost exhausted the possibilities so I turn to the general
current-running public.  I'm seeing an intermittent hard hang on my Dell
Inspiron 5160 laptop.  This is not a panic, it's definitely a hard hang,
since although I typically run X I've had a firewire console connected for
the last couple of days and the hang kills that, as well.  The system is
rendered entirely unresponsive with the only recourse being a power-cycle.

Today I've eliminated both the ath driver and the nvidia driver as
possibilities, the latter because I hit the hang a short time ago
while running the nv driver instead.  The former _might_ still be a
suspect, but I've hit the hang while using the bfe ethernet instead
of the wireless ath connection.

One interesting although perhaps meaningless datapoint is that I usually
see it wedge up right when I click some link in Firefox.  It's not related
to Flash or anything like that that I can see, just when I click a random
link.

I've attached a (verbose) dmesg.boot file as well as my config, fwiw.
If anyone has seen anything like this or can suggest other avenues to
explore, I would be very grateful.

At least this hasn't been a _complete_ waste of time; I have managed to
fix bugs in both the bfe driver and the nvidia driver through the course
of my investigation.  Neither fix helped _my_ problem, of course, but at
least a couple of bugs were found and fixed.  (Both of which were
potentially very hard-to-find problems under normal conditions, although
turning on INVARIANTS and DIAGNOSTIC flushed them right out.)
--
Frank Mayhar frank_at_exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/