Re: pcre in base system

From: Rasmus Kaj <kaj_at_kth.se>
Date: 20 Feb 2005 20:32:22 +0100

 >> But, well, it would actually be nice if PCREs would be available as an
 >> *option*. Analogue to grep, grep -E / sed, sed -E, ...

 JLH> Note that the pcre port is shipped with the pcregrep command.
 JLH> There is unfortunately no pcresed or pcreawk command.

If someone wants a *really* perl compatible sed, why not just use
perl?

perl -p -e 's/regex/replacement/'

is the same thing as

sed -e 's/regex/replacement/'

except, of cource, for the differences in regex (and replacement)
syntax.  A similar replacement is easily created for awk (see the
perlrun manpage).

--
 \ Send me all ``mail viruses'' you want - I use Unix, secure by default.