Re: OpenBSD's tcpdrop(8)

From: Maxim Konovalov <maxim_at_macomnet.ru>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:48:55 +0300 (MSK)
George,

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, 00:34+0900, gnn_at_freebsd.org wrote:

> At Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:05:26 +0300 (MSK),
> Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've ported OpenBSD's tcpdrop(8) and a relevant kernel part.
> > >From the man page, http://tinyurl.com/4lvo9
> >
> >      The tcpdrop command drops the TCP connection specified by the local
> >      address laddr, port lport and the foreign address faddr, port fport.
> >
> > There are patches for HEAD and RELENG_4:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~maxim/diff/tcpdrop.diff
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~maxim/diff/tcpdrop.diff-4
> >
> > Two questions: do we want to have it in the base system?  Does the
> > diff look OK (I didn't test IPv6 part)?
>
> Hi Maxim,
>
> I finally got around to testing this on IPv6.  It was not an
> exhaustive test but I used NetPIPE to run a client and server over
> localhost (::1) for IPv6 and then forced a drop.  The machine is a
> PIII SMP box (elephant if you know the test lab stuff).  No problems
> encountered, and I can only do the drop as root, which is what I would
> hope and expect.

Thank you very much for testing!  A version with the correct locking
(rwatson_at_) and improved IPv6 (ume_at_) is already in the tree.

> A very cool feature.  I vote for it being in the base system.  Are
> there jail issues?  I haven't thought that aspect of the security of
> this feature through yet.

We do not allow to modify sysctls in jail by default (!CTLFLAG_PRISON
case) so I think net.inet.tcp.drop is jail-safe.  And it does not
allow to discover an existent (or non-existent) tcp connection in the
host system from the jail.

--
Maxim Konovalov