Re: What is Freebsd 5.3 safe mode ?

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson_at_ury.york.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:47:14 +0000
On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 22:25 -0800, John Palmer wrote:
> I have installed Freebsd 5.3.  When the machine boots up, it gives me
> several options if I want to boot up in Default Mode, Safe Mode, Single User
> mode, etc.  I understand Single user mode.  What is the difference between
> Safe Mode and Default Mode?

Firstly, please don't cross post to three lists, especially a developer
orierntated list alongside -newbies and -questions.

Safe mode forces PIO mode (disabling the use of DMA) and disables write
caching for all IDE hard drives and CD ROM drives, disables the probing
of EISA slots (as very few systems have them), and in i386 it also
disables the use of ACPI and the APICs.

Gavin