Re: panic: Duplicate free of item 0xc2580a00 from zone 0xc103e9a0(Mbuf)

From: Emil Mikulic <emikulic_at_dmr.ath.cx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:35:51 +1100
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:57:33AM -0600, Jon Noack wrote:
> From src/sys/pci/if_rl.c:
> "The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.'  This is
> probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the possible
> exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC.  The 8139 supports bus-master
> DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance
> gains that bus-master DMA usually offers.
> ..."
>
> I would bet that (in)famous comment coupled with everyone recommending
> fxp or em adapters[1] causes most who experience problems to abandon rl
> adapters at the first hint of trouble.

A few weeks ago I was copying a large file from a machine with an rl
interface to a machine with an fxp one.  Both were running 6-CURRENT
with almost identical kernel configs.

top showed the rl irq was eating 20% of the CPU time of a 1050MHz K7.
On the other end, the fxp irq was eating 1% of a 400MHz Pentium II.

> [1] I use fxp and em adapters and I've never had a problem with them.
> As such, I can't argue with the recommendation.

Seconded.

--Emil