Wpa, dhcp and default routes...

From: Jochen Gensch <incmc_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:58:50 +0100
Hi,

first of all thanks for the great wpa support and the centralized
possibilty to manage all the wireless connection in one file. But I have
a few questions though:

System: FreeBSD Current built today with atheros card.

1) wpa_supplicant brings up the connection fine, however only if I start
it after attaching my card. If remove the card while a link is up and
reattach it aftwards, wpa_supllicant tries to reinitialize the
connection but fails with the following message:

"Association request to the driver failed"

I was hoping it is able to wait for a card to attach and then
automatically bring up the connections...

2) If the connection is up, dhclient needs to be restartet as well to
poll an ip from the dhcp server. I even tried the -i option.

3) Biggest issue: If I had a link on my fxp0 interface before, there is
NO chance to tell the system to change the default route to my ath0
device. It always default to fxp0. I couldn't find any suitable option
for route to change that.

So in a nutshell it is only possible to use the wireless stuff with a
lot of workarounds to me. The only thing I'm trying to accomplish is the
following (as Windows does):

1) attach your wireless card
2) automatically recognize card and establish a connection to access
points in a predefined order
3) fetch IP address via dhcp
4) change default route to correct nic and gateway
5) when detaching wireless nic, change route back to other available
connections (if avail.)

How are you getting this done? Any hints?

Thanks a lot, Jochen