Re: Adaptec USB2Xchange

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:54:39 +1030
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 07:28, Pete Carah wrote:
> I have reason to use a USB to SCSI adapter under FBSD.  I have a
> USB2Xchange from Adaptec, but (as usual for adaptec) it requires a firmware
> load, which appears harder in usb than in PCI.  Does anyone know how to do
> this?  (Should we have a generic firmware loader similar in concept to the
> ndis converter?)

There is a USB firmware standard called DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) which
quite a nunmber of devices use (eg Atmel WiFi, Ti USB Audio, etc).

I have a USB audio device that uses it but I haven't had much luck getting the
USB stack to reprobe the device after it's been reprogrammed (I have to pull
the connector out enough that it disconnects the data lines but not enough to
unpower it..)

Unfortunatly it's hard to say if your device does DFU at all.. I would suggest
pulling it apart and trying to find data sheets on the chips in it.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum